Fire breaks out at Kalindi Kunj Rohingya camp, no casualties reported!

70

New Delhi: Rohingya Refugee Camp in Delhi gutted in fire last night. Possessions of more than 230 persons burnt, including all their paperwork. Rohingya refugees were rendered homeless when a massive fire burnt to ashes a camp they were residing in Delhi’s Madanpur Khadar area in the early hours of April 15.

According to, a resident of the camp, situated in South East district of Delhi, the fire was first noticed around 3 am from near the area where the camp’s makeshift toilet was placed. “We were all sleeping and rushed out of our tents on seeing the fire. Since many of the tents are made of tarpaulin and have plastic coverings, the fire spread fast. Also, some of the houses had gas cylinders that burst, adding to the enormity of the fire."

A preliminary probe revealed that the fire began in a toilet in the far left corner of the plot, where over 47 families live. Officials suspect a short-circuit in an electrical wire may have started the fire which then spread to shanties made mostly of asbestos, tin and plastic sheets.

Source- Twitter

You might also like More from author

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.