BRS terms Telangana government’s decision on E-Prix regressive
Hyderabad, Jan 6 (IANS) BRS working president K. T. Rama Rao on Saturday slammed the Congress government in Telangana for refusing to host the second Formula E race in Hyderabad and termed it a poor and regressive decision.
He was reacting to Formula E’s announcement about cancellation of the second Formula E race in India, which was scheduled in Hyderabad next month.
The announcement was made after a decision by the Municipal Administration and Urban Development Department (MAUD of the Telangana government not to fulfil the Host City Agreement signed on October 30, 2023.
“This is truly a poor and regressive decision by the Congress government. Events like Hyderabad E-Prix enhance the brand image of our city and country across the world. We had put in a lot of efforts and time to bring Formula E-Prix for the first time to India,” said KTR, a minister in the previous BRS government
“In a world where sustainability has become the focus and buzzword, KCR government had taken the initiative to use the Formula E race as an occasion to also conduct a week-long EV summit attracting EV enthusiasts, manufacturers and startups to showcase Hyderabad as an attractive investment destination,” he said.
The BRS leader recalled that they had also launched the Telangana Mobility Valley to promote the state as the epicentre for sustainable mobility solutions.
Earlier, Formula E Operations (FEO) announced it has given a notice to MAUD for breach of contract. FEO is considering its position and what steps it may take under the Host City Agreement and applicable laws. All of FEO’s rights in that regard are reserved, FEO said.
The Hyderabad E-Prix would have been the only official FIA World Championship event in India in 2024 and was part of a multi-year agreement between Formula E and the Government of Telangana.
Hyderabad had hosted the maiden race in February last year. It became the first Indian city to host the prestigious race.