Britannia launches Marie Gold My Startup Season 3.0: democratizing entrepreneurship for India’s Homemakers
15 September 2021: Britannia Marie Gold’s My Startup campaign has successfully run across two seasons, providing funds and skill development for Indian homemakers to embark on their entrepreneurial journeys. In 2020, a partnership with NSDC helped the campaign provide 10,000 homemakers with basic communication skills, financial literacy through access to information and communication technology (ICT), along with micro entrepreneurial skills for social and economic self-reliance.
In its Season 3, the Britannia Marie Gold My Start-up campaign has been broadened to help homemakers leverage the internet to grow their businesses. 77% of homemakers who desire to set up their own ventures, consider technology as an enabler in this journey – as noted in the survey by Britannia and Momspresso.
Indian Homemakers’ Entrepreneurship Report 2021-Key Highlights-
- 62% of homemakers have dreams & aspirations to startup a business of their own
- The primary drivers for these homemakers who aspire to set up their own business are the desire to be financially independent (60%) and the ability to contribute financially to the family (53%)
- Lack of time due to home responsibilities (73%), lack of guidance (53%) & insufficient funds (50%) have acted as the main barriers that prevented them from setting up their own business
- 77% of homemakers who desire to set up their own venture consider technology can also aid them in this journey. They feel technology can help them in: Enhancing their knowledge & know-how of how to run a business (80%), provide ease of doing business (73%), more access to markets (72%)
- Some of the popular businesses of interest are running a boutique (16%), home tutoring (10%), re-selling of apparel, jewelry (7%), running a beauty parlor (6%) among others
- Starting a business of their own, would make these homemakers feel more self-confident (81%), empowered (78%) and feel more respected in the society (63%)
To support these aspirations, participants will be able to access a set of digital skilling resources from Google. These digital resources are available in six languages – Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Bengali and English.
Bringing to light the season highlights and launch of the Britannia Marie Gold My Startup contest 2021, Vinay Subramanyam, Vice-President, Marketing, Britannia Industries Limited said, “Britannia Marie Gold is a brand that has intimate connections with India’s homemakers. We laud them for being the emotional anchor and an all-time go-to person in every family. We firmly believe that the progress the country has made sits on the bedrock of contributions and sacrifices made by the homemaker. Britannia Marie Gold recognizes the growing, inner aspirations of homemakers to do more with their potential and is committed to be the ‘everyday fuel’ for homemakers in this bid. That’s why we are happy to launch the third edition of Britannia Marie Gold My Startup. We are delighted this time to collaborate with Google to help skill homemakers in the use of technology to gain better market access, expand customer base, access finance and other resources. Together, we really hope to be the wind behind the wings of every ‘homepreneur’ out there.”
Commenting on the association with Britannia, Sapna Chadha, Senior Marketing Director, India & South-East Asia, Google, said, “Opportunity and inclusion are at the core of everything we do at Google. Through our products and programs, we have supported millions of women in India to leverage digital tools to generate income and livelihood, and we know that helping women to embrace entrepreneurship opportunities through digital has a transformative impact on them and their families, the community, and the local economy. We are pleased to provide our digital skilling resources to aspiring women entrepreneurs participating in Britannia’s important program and wish every one of them success.”
The last day for online submissions is 05/11/2021. The full terms and conditions can be found at www.britanniamystartup.com.