PwC India pledges to achieve Net-Zero Greenhouse Gas Emissions by 2030
Mumbai, 22 November 2022: In 2020, PwC India joined PwC network firms in a commitment to achieve net zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2030. PwC India’s net-zero commitment is underpinned by a science-based target to reduce its emissions to an absolute 50% of its scope 1 and 2 emissions as well as a 50% reduction in scope 3 business travel GHG emissions by 2030, compared to its 2019 levels. Our commitment is aligned to a 1.5 degree scenario which is necessary to avert the worst impacts of climate change.
Commitments made include:
- Reducing absolute business travel emissions to 50% by 2030. This includes travel via flights, conventional cabs (petrol/diesel), and hotel stays.
- Reducing emission by fuel consumption by DG sets and company owned vehicles to 50% by 2030.
- Transition to 100% renewable energy from FY22 and reduce absolute emissions to 50% by 2030.
- Commit to having at least 50% of our purchased goods and services suppliers by emissions set science-based targets to reduce their own climate impact by 2025.
PwC India’s commitment to proceed towards a net-zero system by 2030 largely focuses on minimizing its carbon emissions via a carbon mitigation hierarchy – avoid, reduce, replace and offset. In a commitment to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2030, PwC India has
- Launched multiple employee engagement initiatives such as Green Week and Conscious Choices to promote and educate sustainable practices among employees
- Prioritized decarbonization of its operations, which includes reshaping how it serves clients, sustained reductions in travel and the increased use of zero carbon energy.
- Built visibility around emissions at a business unit level
- Initiated supplier engagement to encourage them to register on SBTi by adopting science based targets
- Initiated assessments of green power procurement for PwC Offices
According to Satyavati Berera, Partner & Net Zero Lead, PwC India, “The urgency around sustainability is a leveler for all – telling us that a greener world needs everyone’s collective commitment and attention. The ownership lies with each one of us. We know that a commitment is only as good as the actions that follow, and so we are putting together a robust plan which will enable us to make the shift. This journey is essential and requires a behavior shift from each of us – but it’s also exciting because it gives us more opportunities to do the right thing.